Te Tihi o Tawa Trail
Mountain bike - Advanced
DOC Trails - Whakarewarewa ForestTe Tihi o Tawa starts at the top of Tawa. It is mainly down hill and joins 'Billy T' half way down bringing you back towards the main network of trails in the Whakarewarewa Forest. Built by the Rotorua Mountain Bike club
Te Tihi o Tawa is grade 3 on the mountain bike trail standards used in the rest of the forest.
Running through mature forest containing, tawa, mahoe, five finger with mistletoe and juvenile rata. The surroundings means that Te Tihi o Tawa provides an experience unlike other trails in the area. The trail is generally decending with a total drop of approximately180m.
Head south on State Highway 5 from Rotorua city. 1 km from the city limit, on the left, you'll find the Waipa Mill – the entrance to the Whakarewarewa Forest.
From the Waipa Mill carpark, ride up the Waipa State Mill Rd, which will turn into Hill Rd.
Follow this for 5.5 km until Moerangi Rd appears on your right, 1 km on this and turn left onto Tawa Rd after 2.5 km you'll be at the highest point in the forest and at the start of the track.
Mountain biking and cycling
Plan and prepare
Responsible mountain biking
Mountain biking has dangers, proceed at your own risk and ride within your ability.
- Wear an approved cycle helmet and protective clothing.
- Stay on the designated mountain bike track or roads - do not take short cuts.
- Take out what you bring in - do not litter.
- Beware of vehicles when using the roads. Standard NZ road rules apply - keep to the left and give way when appropriate.
- Do not build new tracks or modify existing tracks.
Map of DOC trails in Whakarewarewa Forest
back to top