Dukes Nose (Kairara Rocks) Track
Great Walk/Easier tramping track
45 min one way
500 m one way
Dukes Nose, Whangaroa
The Duke’s Nose (Kairara Rocks) Track is signposted from the Lane Cove Hut and day shelter.
The track follows the stream behind the hut up a fairly steep gradient to a point where chains have been installed to help you climb to the top of the Duke’s Nose.
From the flat top of this ancient volcanic plug, you can take in spectacular views of the native coastal forest below, the Whangaroa Harbour and to the sea beyond.
10,000 Steps Northland: This track equates to about 1,000 steps.
Visit the Sport Northland website to learn more about the programme.
View from Dukes Nose
The Duke’s Nose (Kairara Rocks) track starts behind Lane Cove Hut and day shelter, Pekapeka Bay, Whangaroa Harbour.
You can reach the track by land via the Wairakau Stream Track. If arriving by sea from Totara North, Whangaroa boat ramps or Ranfurly Bay, land at the day shelter, turn right, and follow the orange triangular DOC markers.
The top of Dukes Nose is a great lookout with excellent views and good photo opportunities.
Plan and prepare
Help stop kauri dieback
Kauri dieback disease is killing our native kauri. It spreads by soil movement, but you can help prevent it.
- Stay on the track and off kauri roots.
- Clean your gear before and after visiting kauri forests.
Visit the kauri dieback website for more information on how you can help.
- Carry warm, waterproof clothing, and food and drink, even on short walks. Stout shoes or walking boots are advisable.
- Before leaving for your walk, make sure your vehicle is locked and any valuables out of sight.
- Stick to the DOC track as there are pest animal trapping lines in the forest. These are marked with flagging tape and markers.
- Dogs and fires are not permitted due to the risk they pose to kiwi and other wildlife.
- If you intend staying at Lane Cove Hut, you will need to bring a portable stove, food and drink, sleeping bag and cooking utensils. Bookings are essential. No camping allowed.
back to top